Sunday, April 26, 2015

White Oak Museum ~Falmouth Virginia~


Took a ride over to Falmouth Virginia today to visit the White Oak Civil War Museum and it might not look like much from outside but the inside is PACKED with artifacts...


It used to be a old schoolhouse and when you first walk in you see a chalkboard, desks, and many tables full of reference books...
Then as you walk into the hallways you find numerous showcases full of artifacts and displays showing the life of a soldier in camps during the Civil War...



In one of the halls are displays of huts where the troops lived during the hardtimes before and after the battle of Fredericksburg.




The best part was that the displays covered all aspects of life in the camps...



One of my goals as a artifact collector and history buff is finding my own artifacts. Like bottles, I can purchase civil war artifacts including bullets at about $3 each. I would much rather find my own bullet and it is just a matter of time and just one of the desired artifacts on my list. Seeing the above display of 60,000 CW bullets leads me to believe that one is in my future.....








The bottle collection was just as impressive...
Many CW museums may have one or two bottles but this place was LOADED with bottles found in the camps. Had a very interesting talk with one of the guys there who knew his stuff. It was also great to see what type of bottles came out of the camps and even a few that I knew.









3 comments:

  1. Were most of these items donated by relic hunters? If not, where did they get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Majority of displays had nameplates giving credit to the relic hunter and his collection....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several bottles I would like to sell found in SC upstate and the mountains

    ReplyDelete